Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Director Kevin Smith gets kicked off a southwest airplane for being “too fat”.

As you read this please understand that nothing I say is to be mean or disrespectful. I only say what I do to inform and motivate you. And remember to never take anything anyone says personally.

Over the past weekend Director Smith could not fly on his standby flight because he was asked to leave his seat due to lack of extra room. Normally he would reserve two seats allowing him, as well as other passengers, to have comfortable seat space.

I can understand that feeling as I believe train seats are very tight and uncomfortable when the train is full. Airplane seats aren’t much better but at least they have the little overhead fan and a seatbelt. Oh, and complementary drinks.

Anyway, on a morning talk show a host said that they thought the seats were too small for the average person.

The average person!?

I am split with my opinion on this statement.

On one hand I’m sympathetic to the populous. If it is uncomfortable for a majority of the customers, I agree to the thought that there should be a change. It’s just about good customer service.

On the other hand . . .

What’s up with the majority of our nation being overweight and obese?!

It’s not just the change that’s being demanded for larger seats in airplanes, stadiums, movie theaters.

I bought a pair of pants last week. A size six pair of jeans. As much as I would LOVE to be a size six there is no way that I am the size six that I was over ten years ago.

What this means to me is that this particular store of the fashion and clothing industry has begun to conform to the customers’ needs. In this case, they need larger clothing because they are too fat and want to see a smaller size on the tag.

This is scary to me. As a nation, we are adapting to being overweight by making everything bigger. Even the portions at restaurants have gotten bigger.

If anything I want to make you aware that we are trying to change everything but ourselves. The problem isn’t that things are getting smaller. It’s that people are getting bigger. And it’s not only uncomfortable to be bigger, it’s unhealthy.

Excess body fat creates a number or problems. Risks of heart disease, diabetes, and certain cancers are just a few examples. At that point how much does it matter that the seat on the airplane is too small?

I know you want to be healthy and comfortable. Let’s make the change to ourselves. To be a healthy bodyweight with a healthy amount of bodyfat so that we can live healthier and happier lives.

"look at yourself and make a change" -MJ

1 comment:

  1. Your posts are thought provoking and insightful. Keep up the good work!!
    A/K

    ReplyDelete